Lentil and Sausage Soup
Serving Size / Yield
- 1/2 lb. French green lentils
- 1/8 C. olive oil, plus extra for serving
- 2 c. diced yellow onions (1 1/2 large)
- 2 C. chopped leeks, white and light green parts only (1-2 leeks)
- 1/2 Tbs. minced garlic (1 large clove)
- 1/2 Tbs. kosher salt
- 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp. ground cumin
- 1/2 C. medium diced celery (4 stalks)
- 1 1/2 C. medium diced carrots (2-3 carrots)
- 1 1/2 quarts chicken stock
- 1/8 C. tomato paste
- 1 lb. kielbasa, cut in 1/2 lengthwise and sliced 1/3-inch thick
- 2 Tbs. dry red wine or red wine vinegar
- Freshly grated Parmesan, for serving
In a small bowl, cover lentils with boiling water and let sit 15 minutes. Drain and set aside.
In a large stockpot over medium heat, heat olive oil and saute onions, leeks, garlic, salt, pepper, thyme and cumin for 20 minutes, or until vegetables are translucent and tender. Add celery and carrots and let cook another 10 minutes.
Add chicken stock, tomato paste and drained lentils. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 1 hour. Check seasonings and adjust as needed.
Add kielbasa and red wine until kielbasa is warmed through. Serve with a drizzle of olive oil and some grated parmesan.