Light Red Beans & Rice
Serving Size / Yield
- 5 oz. turkey kielbasa, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 1 med. onion, cut in half, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1 C. canned red kidney beans, well drained
- 1 C. canned no-salt-added crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp. crushed dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp. crushed dried sage
- 1/4 tsp. hot pepper sauce, or to taste
- 2/3 C. cooked rice
- bottle of white vinegar for splashing, optional
In a heavy-bottomed skillet, brown turkey kielbasa over medium-high heat, turning frequently, until well browned, about 5 minutes. Transfer to a plate and keep warm. Remove and discard any fat in skillet.
Add onion, beans, tomatoes, Worcestershire sauce, thyme, sage and hot pepper sauce to skillet and cook over medium heat, stirring often, for 5 minutes. Return kielbasa to skillet and add cooked rice. Cook, stirring, until rice is heated through, about 5 minutes. Divide mixture into 2 bowls and pass bottle of vinegar to sprinkle on the finished dish before eating.