Serving Size / Yield
- 4 egg whites
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1/4 tsp. cream of tartar
- 1/8 tsp. salt
- 1 1/3 C. piloncillo (Mexican dark brown sugar) or brown sugar
- 1 14 oz. pkg. flaked coconut
- 1/2 C. pistachio nuts or almonds, chopped
- 2 Tbs. lime peel, shredded
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Line cookie sheets with parchment paper.
- Combine egg whites, vanilla, cream of tartar, and salt. Beat with an electric mixer on high speed until soft peaks form.
- Gradually add piloncillo, 1 tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- In a medium bowl stir together coconut, nuts, and lime peel. Fold coconut mixture into egg white mixture, half at a time.
- Drop dough by teaspoons 1 inch apart onto cookie sheets.
- Bake for about 15 minutes until golden brown. Transfer to wire racks; cool.
Around The Web