Lizzy's Apple Cider Gravy
- 3 Tbs. fat from the drippings, the rest of the no-fat drippings
- 14 oz. chicken broth
- 1/3 C. fresh apple cider or unsweetened apple juice
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 3 Tbs. flour
- 1 Tbs. bourbon or orange juice
- 1/2 tsp. grated orange peel
Pour out drippings and let fat rise to the top. Meanwhile, deglaze pan with a little water. Skim off 3 Tbs. of fat and put into saucepan. Toss out the rest of the fat. Add drippings to pan. Make a mix of the flour and a small amount of cold chicken broth - remember cold is good here. Put everything except the bourbon (or orange juice) and the orange peel into the saucepan. Bring to a simmer. Slowly, in a thin even stream, add the flour/broth mixture. Adjust for desired thickness. Remove from the heat add the bourbon or orange juice and the orange peel. Serve.
Tip: You can add the flavor elements of this recipe to store bought gravy too.