- 10 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 16 Tbs. (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 4 oz. unsweetened chocolate, melted and cooled
- 1/4 C. each Splenda and Canadian Sugar Twin or 1 C. (240 ml) Splenda
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp. instant coffee granules
- 1 1/2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 tsp. pure chocolate extract (optional)
- 1 1/2 C. almond meal (finely ground almonds)
- 6 Tbs. Dutch-processed cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp. sea salt
- 1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 13 x 9-inch (32.5 x 22.5-cm) baking pan and line the bottom with parchment paper. In a large bowl, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth. Beat in the chocolate and sweetener. Beat in the eggs, 1 at a time, scraping the bowl well after each addition. Add the coffee and vanilla and chocolate extracts. Beat until combined. In a medium bowl, mix the almond meal, cocoa, salt, and baking powder. Add to the chocolate mixture and beat well. Scrape into the prepared pan and smooth the top. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, until the top is firm. Cool on a wire rack before cutting. Store brownies covered, in the refrigerator.
Yield: 48 brownies
Karen Barnaby .