Low-Fat Coq au Vin
- 4 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 2 C. small whole fresh mushrooms
- 1 C. thinly sliced carrots
- 1 C. Burgundy wine
- 16 pearl onions, peeled
- 1 Tbs. bacon bits
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh parsley
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 tsp. dried marjoram, crushed
- 3/4 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
- 1/2 tsp. chicken bouillon granules
- 1/8 tsp. ground black pepper
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 1/2 C. cold water
- 1/8 C. all-purpose flour
Spray a large non-stick skillet with cooking spray. Sauté chicken over medium heat for about 15 minutes, or until lightly browned on both sides. Add the mushrooms, carrot, wine, onions, bacon bits, parsley, garlic, marjoram, thyme, bouillon, pepper and bay leaf.
Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through and no longer pink inside.
Using a slotted spoon, transfer chicken, mushrooms, carrot, and onions to a platter, discarding bay leaf; cover to keep warm and set aside. In a small bowl combine flour and water and whisk together. Stir mixture into skillet and cook until thick and bubbly, 5-10 minutes. Cook and stir 1 minute more and pour mixture over chicken and veggies. Serve warm.
Yield: 4 servings