Luscious Chunky Vegetable Chowder Recipe
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 jumbo onion (1 lb.), cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 12 oz. red potatoes, unpeeled and cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 3 med. carrots, peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 med. parsnips (about 8 oz.), peeled and cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 med. stalks celery, cut into 1/4-inch pieces
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed with press
- 1 14.5-oz. can vegetable broth
- 3/4 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. dried thyme
- 4 1/2 C. water
- 1 10-oz. pkg. frozen Fordhook lima beans
- 12 oz. escarole or Swiss chard, trimmed and coarsely chopped
In nonstick 5- to 6-quart saucepot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium-high heat until very hot. Add onion, potatoes, carrots, parsnips, celery and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until vetgetables are lightly browned, 15 minutes.
Add broth salt, thyme and water; heat to boiling over medium-high heat. Stir in lima beans and escarol; heat to boiling. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer until vegetables are tender, about 10 minutes.
Each serving: About 220 calories, 7g protein, 39g carbohydrate, 5g total fat (1g sat.), 0mg cholesterol, 675 mg sodium.