Macaroni and Peas
- 1 lb. short macaroni
- 1 can veggie broth or homemade
- 1 lg. can tender sweet peas (with liquid)
- 6 fresh baby carrots, shredded (optional)
- 1 sm. onion or shallot, diced
- 2 Tbs. oil
- grated cheese to taste
- 1 sm. can sliced mushrooms (optional)
- black pepper to taste
Sauté onion in oil in a deep pot. Add carrots and broth. Simmer about 10-15 minutes. Add peas with their juice and cook another 10-15 minutes (while pasta is cooking). Add a pinch of pepper. Taste and adjust as needed. If you can, emulsify the mixture so the broth is smooth. Return to heat for about 2 minutes and add mushrooms. After draining pasta, return to large pot. Pour pea broth over cooked, drained pasta. Heat about 2 minutes, mix well to coat and serve. Sprinkle with cheese.
If you wanted to make this a red sauce, substitute half of the broth with tomato sauce.