- 1 1/4 lb. fresh or frozen jumbo shrimp in shells and/or 1 lb. skinless, boneless chicken breasts or thighs
- 1 large red or green sweet pepper, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 medium red onion, cut into wedges
- 1 C. orange marmalade
- 1/3 C. lime juice
- 1/4 C. tequila (optional)
- 2 Tbs. cooking oil
- 2 Tbs. snipped fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 1/2-inch-thick slices peeled fresh pineapple
Thaw shrimp, if frozen. Peel and devein shrimp, leaving tails intact. Rinse shrimp and pat dry. Cut chicken, if using, into 1-inch chunks. Thread shrimp and/or chicken, sweet pepper, and onion onto 6 10- to 12-inch skewers.
For the sauce, in a small saucepan stir together the marmalade, lime juice, tequila, if you like, cooking oil, cilantro, and garlic. Cook and stir just until marmalade is melted. Divide mixture in half.
Grill kabobs on a greased rack of an uncovered grill directly over medium coals for 10-12 minutes or until shrimp turn pink or chicken is done, turning once. Add pineapple to grill rack and brush kabobs and pineapple with 1/2 of the sauce mixture during the last 5 minutes of grilling. Turn pineapple once during the last 5 minutes of grilling. Pass remaining half of sauce with kabobs and pineapple.
Yield: 6 servings
From: Midwest Living