- 2-3 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 lb. hamburger (or chicken or turkey)
- 1 sm. onion, chopped
- 1-2 cloves garlic, chopped
- 1 Tbs. cilantro or celery leaves, chopped
- 1 sm. jar green olives, sliced
- 1 can diced tomatoes w/chilies
- 1 tsp. chili powder or cumin
- 1 - 1 1/2 C. cheese (your choice)
- 12 dozen sourdough rolls (either round or oval shaped)
Lightly brown onion, garlic and cilantro (or celery leaves) in olive oil (in a cast iron or heavy skillet), add meat and cook until no longer pink. Drain any excess oil off. Add tomatoes, green olives, chili powder and cumin; simmer about 10 minutes. Add cheese and stir until melted; remove from heat. Top rolls & hollow* out (making a bowl or boat), spoon meat mixture into the boats & put back on the tops.
Put in a baking dish and heat in the oven until heated through about 20 minutes. For crispy rolls, leave uncovered. For softer rolls, cover with foil.
*The bread (crumbs or chunks) can be frozen in a baggie for other uses. I save mine to make my Dressing (cornbread & sourdough) at Thanksgiving.