Meatless Stuffed Green Peppers
- 4 C. vegetable juice drink (i.e. V-8)
- 4 green peppers, tops removed and seeded
- 1 Tbs. olive oil (light or EVOO)
- 1 sm. onion, finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 1/2 C. fresh green beans
- 1/2 C. sliced fresh carrots
- 1/2 block firm tofu, pressed and crumbled
- 1/2 C. uncooked long grain brown rice and wild rice pilaf cooked in 1 C. vegetable juice cocktail
- 2 C. grated cheddar cheese (or your favorite combination of cheeses)
1. Cook rice pilaf in water. If using rice cooker with a steamer you can put the beans and carrots in the steamer on top of the rice. Remove vegetables when just done to the bite, about 15 minutes.
2. Bring enough water to cover the peppers to a boil in a large pot. Boil peppers for about 5 minutes, until softened but while they still hold their shape.
3. If not using a steamer, place 1 Tbs. of olive oil in a skillet and saute the beans and the carrots until beginning to soften, about 4 minutes.
4. Add onions and saute until translucent.
5. Add garlic and saute for about 1 minute. Do not burn.
6. In a large bowl, combine tofu, vegetables, rice pilaf, 1 C. of the cheese and 1 C. of the vegetable juice. Add more juice if needed to reach desired consistency.
7. Season to taste with salt and pepper as desired.
8. Stand the peppers up in a glass 8x8-inch dish and stuff with the mixture.
9. Place remaining cheese over tops of peppers and pour remaining juice all around, care not to overflow the dish.
10. Cover with foil and bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbling.
11. Let set 10 minutes before serving.