- 1 lb. ground meat (93% lean or any mix or type you prefer)
- 1 sm. onion or shallot, diced
- 2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
- 4 Tbs. balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 box frozen spinach, thawed and drained well
- 4 oz. feta cheese, crumbled or 4 oz. shredded mozzarella & 2 Tbs. grated parmesan
- 3 grinds black pepper
- 1/4 C. black kalamata olives, diced, optional
- 4 oz feta or shredded mozzarella for top of burger after almost cooked
- 10 basil leaves, cut in strips for garnish
- balsamic vinegar, for garnish
- shredded romaine lettuce, for garnish
Sauté onion in olive oil until tender. Add balsamic and cook about 5 minutes. Cool.
With wet hands, mix ingredients except cheese(s) and make 4 balls. Divide cheese and stuff into center of each ball; flatten into a patty without exposing cheese. Be sure to make an indent in center of burger so when it cooks and plumps up, the burger will be uniform. Refrigerate about 10 minutes to set.
Place on preheated grill on high. Let meat sear and remember when turning to use a spatula. You don't want to poke the patty and let the juices out. Close cover.
Cook burgers on each side about 2 minutes turning to create grill marks. You should be cooking alternately twice on each side, 2 minutes and 2 minutes... After last turn, before adding additional cheese, lower heat to medium and close cover on grill.
Add more cheese to burger on last turn and melt. Serve with fresh basil and romaine. Sprinkle with more balsamic vinegar. Use whole wheat buns for more flavor and nutrition.
You can also make smaller burgers and get smaller buns to serve as an appetizer.