Mediterranean Eggplant Casserole
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 1 onion, halved and sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp. oregano, dried
- 1 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. pepper
- 1 1/2 lb. tomatoes, chopped
- 3 tbs. fresh basil, sliced
- 1 C. dry bread crumbs, seasoned
- 1/4 C. grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 egg whites, lightly beaten
- 1 C. mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 2 lg. or 2 1/2 lb. eggplant, peeled and cut crosswise into 3/8" thick slices
Prepare a cookie sheet with fat free cooking spray and set aside. Mix breadcrumbs with 2 Tbs. of Parmesan cheese. Beat egg whites with 1/2 tsp. salt. Dip eggplant slices in egg whites, coat with seasoned breadcrumbs. Place eggplant slices on prepared cookie sheet. You will have 2 different batches. Spray eggplant slices with cooking spray. Set aside.
In a non-stick skillet heat oil over medium heat, add onion and garlic. Cook until softened. Add oregano, 1 tsp. salt, and pepper. Cook for one minute. Add tomatoes, increase heat to high, and cook until thickened, about 10-12 minutes. Remove from heat and add basil.
Broil eggplant slices, 1 batch at a time for 3-5 minutes per side, until brown. Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Layer eggplant slices in a 1 1/2 qt. baking dish. Top with tomato mixture and sprinkle with mozzarella cheese and remaining Parmesan cheese. Bake uncovered until cheese is bubbly, 10-15 minutes.
Cal 249; Pro 13 g; Fat 8 g; Chol 17 mg; Carbs 34 g Sod 1,287 mg; Fiber 7 g; sugar 11 g