Mexican Sweet Bread
20 min preparation + 20 min cooking
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 1/2 tsp yeast
- 1/2 C warm water
- 1/2 C evaporated milk
- 3/8 C white sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 C butter or margarine, melted
- 1 egg
- 4 C all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp nutmeg
- 2/3 C white sugar
- 1/2 C butter or margarine
- 1 C all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl stir the yeast and warm water together.
- Mix in the milk, 3/8 C. sugar, 1/3 C. melted butter, salt, egg, and half of the flour.
- Gradually add the rest of the flour, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, and 1/4 nutmeg.
- knead the dough on a floured surface for about 6-8 minutes.
- Place in a large greased bowl and turn the dough around to coat.
- Cover, and let the dough naturally rise in a warm place for about 1 hour.
- To make the topping in a medium bowl, beat 2/3 C sugar and 1/2 C butter until light and fluffy.
- Stir in the flour until the mix forms into a thick consistency.
- Divide into two parts and place one half in a separate bowl.
- Mix cinnamon into one half, and vanilla into the other half.
- When the dough is done rising, cut into 12 pieces.
- Shape into balls and place onto a cookie sheet.
- Dived each bowl of topping into 6 balls and pat flat.
- Put the circles on top of the dough balls and pat on gently.
- Using a knife, cut grooves in the topping like a clam shell.
- Cover and let rise for about 45 minutes.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Around The Web