Mom's Meatloaf

Mom's Meatloaf


(6 votes) 3 6

This is a different kind of meat loaf.

Shared by ,

Serving Size / Yield

1 meatloaf


  • 2 lb. 85% fat hamburger
  • 1 C. oatmeal
  • 1 pkg. Lipton onion soup
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 small jar salsa
  • Salt
  • pepper

Our Readers Also Loved


Mix all ingredients together by hand. Mix very well until well blended. Put into small rectangular glass pan. Bake approximately 1 hour at 400 degrees F. 

Reviews (10)

  • I will use the 85% ground beef. If anyone doesn't like to cook in a pool of grease, like myself, just cover a wire rack with foil, poke holes in it and set on a sheet pan. Make a free-form loaf and place on the foil. As it bakes, the grease and jucies drain through to the sheet pan. This is a good recipe, made it for our supper this evening. I want the fat in the ground beef. Thats where the flavor is. If it's cooked right there won't be any grease.

    Reported bernieah  |  April 30, 2012

  • I will only use 7 % fat ground beef for a meat loaf..... other wise, eeeck. And in my opinion, that is just way too much salt. Try real onions instead. and TWO eggs per pound of meat or egg beaters or egg whites if you are concerned and if you are concerned, you should not be eating ground anything with more than 7% of fat in it.

    Flag as inappropriate Sheryll_Rufus  |  October 11, 2010

  • Sounds a lot like my Mom's except she used one 8 oz can tomato sauce, bell pepper, and real onions instead of onion soup and salsa.

    Flag as inappropriate patches12  |  June 21, 2009

  • Just like I do it - yumalicious!!! For those of you who doubt the oats instead of bread crumbs - just try it once - you'll be pleasantly surprised. Love these comfort foods.

    Flag as inappropriate BarbPierson  |  June 17, 2009

  • oops, I forgot the egg!

    Flag as inappropriate Cathylynn  |  April 28, 2009

  • My mom has always used oats in her meatloaf instead of bread crumbs and it has come out great for the 56 years I've been eating it!
    Plus a little milk, some ketchup, onion, salt and pepper.
    My addition is to top the loaf with bottled chili sauce - much better than ketchup on top. YUM!
    The 85% means the meat is 85% lean, or only 15 % fat. That is a better grade than standard hamburger which is much more fat.

    Flag as inappropriate Cathylynn  |  April 28, 2009

  • 85% fat? Oatmeal and not bread crumbs? Uh - nothanks.

    Flag as inappropriate bryancar  |  April 27, 2009

  • The 85% means 85% LEAN; you can call it ground beef or call it hamburger. The % refers to fat content; this could also be stated as 15% fat.

    Flag as inappropriate charmtexas  |  April 26, 2009

  • I think you must have meant 85% ground beef but I really like this recipe it sounds quick, easy and oh so good. I give you 5 chef hats.

    Flag as inappropriate kenncec  |  February 22, 2009

  • 85% fat, that leaves only 15% meat. hehehe The recipe does sound good, I'll use 90-93% lean hamburg. Thanks!

    Flag as inappropriate joycethd  |  February 20, 2009

Around The Web