Mozzarella en Carrozza or Italian Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices crusty Italian bread that is wide in shape, sliced into 1/4-inch slices
- 2-3 eggs or equivalent in imitation eggs, beaten and seasoned with pinch of salt and 2 grinds black pepper
- 1 ball fresh buffalo mozzarella or something like Polly-O, sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 C. all-purpose flour, seasoned with pinch of salt and 2 grinds black pepper
- 2 lemons, quartered
- 10 fresh basil leaves, washed and torn
- 4 slices prosciutto (Italian Ham) (optional)
- 1 C. prepared tomato sauce
- 1 C. Italian flavored breadcrumbs (optional)
Beat seasoned eggs, set aside.
Make each sandwich using 2 slices of bread, mozzarella enough to cover the bread, a couple of strips of basil and prosciutto if using. I would put the mozzarella closest to the bread to ensure it sticking together. Squeeze sandwich to help it stick together. Dip sandwiches in seasoned flour and coat well. Shake off excess flour and dip in egg (making sure sandwich stays together). If using the breadcrumbs, dredge now, shaking off excess.
Cook in preheated skillet - that has enough oil to come up halfway on the sandwich - about 2-3 minutes on each side and until golden brown.
Serve with lemon wedges and/or tomato sauce.