Serving Size / Yield
- 1/4 C. white wine or water
- 1/4-oz. dried porcini or shiitake mushrooms
- 1 tsp. olive oil
- 1/4 C. frozen chopped onion
- 1/2 C. Italian Arborio or Carnaroli rice
- 1 1/2 C. low-sodium canned beef broth
- 1/8 tsp. crushed saffron threads, optional
- 1/8 tsp. freshly ground pepper to taste
- 1 Tbs. grated Parmesan cheese
In a small saucepan, bring wine to a boil. Add mushrooms. Remove from heat, cover and set aside.
In a heavy nonstick saucepan, heat oil over low heat. Add onion and saute, stirring often, until onion is limp, about 4 minutes. Add rice and cook for another 3 minutes.
Meanwhile, bring beef broth to a boil in another saucepan. Lower heat to a simmer. Add 1/4 cup hot broth to rice, stir and allow to simmer until broth is absorbed. Add the saffron, if using, another 1/4 cup broth and the wine-mushroom mixture. Continue to simmer, stirring gently. Continue adding the hot broth, 1/4 cup at a time, stirring gently, until rice is creamy but just tender. Total cooking time should be about 25 minutes. Add pepper and cheese. Serve immediately.