Mustard Chicken Barbecue
- 1/2 C. Dijon-style mustard
- 3 Tbs. vinegar
- 4 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. snipped fresh thyme or 1/8 tsp. dried thyme, crushed
- 4 chicken legs (thigh-drumstick piece) or 4 each drumsticks and thighs (about 3 lb. total) or 4 chicken breast halves (about 2 lb. total)
- 2 Tbs. light-flavored molasses.
If desired, remove skin from chicken. Place chicken in a plastic bag in a shallow dish; set aside. For marinade, stir together mustard, vinegar, Worcestershire sauce, and thyme. Pour marinade over chicken; seal bag. Marinate in the refrigerator for 4 to 24 hours, turning bag occasionally. Drain chicken, reserving marinade. Set aside 1/3 cup of the marinade for sauce. In a grill with a cover arrange medium-hot coals around a drip pan. Test for medium heat above the pan (see tip, below). Place the chicken pieces, bone side down, on the grill rack over drip pan. Cover and grill for 50 to 60 minutes or until tender and no longer pink, brushing occasionally with marinade up to the last 5 minutes of grilling. Meanwhile, for sauce, in a small saucepan combine 1/3 cup reserved marinade and the molasses. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, for 5 minutes. Pass sauce with chicken.
Yield: 4 Servings.