New England Fish Chowder
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 C. frozen chopped onion
- 1/4 C. shredded carrot
- 1/4 C. thinly sliced celery
- 2 1/4 C. fat-free reduced-sodium canned chicken broth
- 2 no-salt added canned tomatoes, coarsely chopped
- 1 sm. zucchini, diced
- 1 sm. red potato, unpeeled and diced
- 1/4 tsp. crushed dried thyme
- salt, optional
- freshly ground pepper
- 5 oz. fillet of sole, flounder or orange roughy, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 Tbs. finely minced flat-leaf parsley for garnish, optional
In a large pot, combine onion, carrot, celery and 1/4 chicken broth. Bring to a boil and cook over medium-high heat until the onion is limp, about 2 minutes. Add the remaining broth, tomatoes, zucchini, potato and thyme. Lower the heat, cover and simmer until the vegetables are cooked, about 15 minutes. Taste and add salt and pepper.
Add fish, cover, and continue to simmer until the fish is tender, about 5 minutes. Ladle the chowder into 2 soup bowls and sprinkle with parsley if desired.