Northwest Best Mac and Cheese
- 1 7-oz. pkg. elbow macaroni
- 6 Tbs. butter
- 3 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 2 C. half and half
- 1 8-oz. pkg. cream cheese cubed
- 1 C. shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 C. shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tsp. grey poupon mustard
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 14 tsp. black pepper
- 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
- 3/4 C. dry bread crumbs( fresh or prepared)
- 3 Tbs. minced fresh parsley
Cook macaroni according to package directions. Meanwhile, melt 4 tablespoons of butter in a large saucepan. Stir in flour until smooth.
Gradually add half and half: Bring to a slow boil: stirring, let cook for 2-3 minutes.
Reduce heat: add cheeses, mustard and seasonings. Stir until cheeses are melted and sauce is smooth. Drain macaroni; add to cheese sauce and stir gently to coat.
Transfer to a well-greased shallow 3 qt. baking dish. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs and parsley. Sprinkle over macaroni. Bake, uncovered, at 400 degrees for 20 minutes or until golden brown.
Optional add ins: 1 cup diced fresh tomatoes,1 cup diced ham, 1 1/2 cups steamed broccoli florets