Open-Faced Breakfast Sandwich
Serving Size / Yield
- cooking spray
- 1 med. onion, thinly sliced and separated into rings
- 1/4 lb. fresh shiitake mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 Tbs. minced fresh ginger
- 2 Tbs. fat-free reduced-sodium canned chicken broth
- freshly ground pepper to taste
- 2 lg. eggs
- 1 English muffin, split
- chopped fresh parsley for garnish, optional
Lightly coat a heavy skillet with cooking spray. Add onion and cook over low heat, Stirring often, until onion is soft and golden, about 4 minutes. Add mushrooms, ginger and broth. Cover and continue cooking until mushrooms are tender and liquid is absorbed, about 5 minutes. Season with pepper.
Meanwhile, poach eggs in simmering water to desired doneness. Toast English muffin.
To serve, place 1/2 English muffin on each of 2 serving plates. Top each with half of the onion-mushroom mixture. Using a slotted spoon, carefully remove the eggs from poaching liquid and place in center of each serving. If desired, garnish with parsley. Serve immediately.