Outrageous Orange Salad
- 1-2 fennel bulbs, trimmed and thinly sliced
- licorice and anise flavor
- 2 Tbs. fennel fronds
- 2 med. oranges, peeled, or 1 lg. can mandarin oranges drained, reserving 2 Tbs. juice
- 5 Tbs. olive oil
- 6-8 Tbs. red wine vinegar
- 1 dash each salt and pepper
- 1 head Romaine, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 4 Tbs. Craisins
- 2 tsp. sugar, optional
- 2 grinds black pepper
- 1 pt. blueberries
Place the sliced fennel, romaine, blueberries and cranberries in a salad bowl. If adding fresh oranges, using a chef's knife, cut away the skin and the pith (the bitter white part), following the natural curve of the fruit. Working over a bowl to catch the juice, cut along each side of the membrane to free each section. Add to salad.
Combine remaining ingredients and let sit about 10 minutes. Drizzle over salad and mix well.