Over the Top Pork Stew
- 1 1/2 lb. lean pork loin (cut into bite-size pieces)
- 4 Tbs. canola oil
- 1/2 C. flour (for coating pork)
- 1 C. white wine (to deglaze pan) (may substitute with chicken stock)
- 8 C. chicken stock (low sodium, no MSG)
- 1 14.5-oz. can diced tomatoes w/basil & garlic (do not drain)
- 1 sm. bag frozen whole small onions
- 5 red potatoes, quartered (may leave skin on)
- 1 9-oz. bag frozen sweet corn
- 1 9-oz. bag frozen green beans
- 1 C. celery (about 4 ribs)
- 2 leek stalks, cleaned thoroughly and cut into 1-inch slices
- 2 cloves garlic or 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 tsp. oregano (crushed dried)
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes ( more if you like more heat)may omit
- Fresh ground black pepper (to taste)
- salt to taste
- Fresh ground pepper to taste
- 1 C. yellow squash, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1 sm. zucchini, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/4-1/2 C. instant potato flakes (used for thickening)
Put flour on plate, add salt and pepper. Dredge pork pieces in flour, lightly coating all sides. Add oil to pan* and heat on medium heat until water drops dance on surface. Add pork in small batches and brown on all sides. Remove to paper towel to drain. Slowly add wine to pan, scraping pan and stirring to loosen flavor bits left on bottom of pan (this process is called deglazing.) Liquid will thicken. Remove from heat and pour into crock pot. Set crock pot to low setting. Add next 16 ingredients to pot. Stir well. Cook for 6 hours. In the last hour, add zucchini and squash. At this point, adjust seasoning to taste (salt and pepper). Cook for 1 more hour. Just before serving, add potato flakes a little at a time until desired thickness is achieved.
Spicy Mexican Corn Muffins Poppers goes well with this stew (another recipe of mine).
Conventional cooking may be substituted by reducing cooking time to 3 hours on simmer heat (slow boil). Adding last two vegetables (zucchini and squash) last 1/2 hour. Then thicken with potato flakes.
*Cast iron pan works the best for browning meat and getting those flavor-enhanced morsels.