Pasta with Sardines and Fennel
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 large fennel bulb, finely chopped.
- 1/8 tsp crumbled saffron threads
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds, crushed
- 4 tbsp olive oil
- 2 cans sardines in oil, drained
- 1 package pasta of your choosing
- 1/2 cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1/3 cup dry bread crumbs
Cook pasta per instructions on package.
Over a medium heat, cook onion, fennel bulb and seeds with 2 tbsp olive oil and salt. Cook for 15 minutes or until fennel is tender. Stir occasionally to avoid burning.
Add in wine, saffron and raisins to fennel. Break up the sardines with a fork and add half to the skillet and simmer for 1 minute.
In a small bowl, combine bread crumbs, 2 tbsp olive oil and mix until clumpy.
Toss hot sardines in bowl with pasta and bread crumb mix. Pour in fennel sauce from skillet and add remaining sardines, pine nuts and salt to taste.