Pizza alla Napoletana
- 1 recipe basic pizza dough, rolled out
- 1 lb. peeled plum tomatoes, fresh or canned
- 3 Tbs. anchovy fillets in oil, drained and cut into pieces
- 1 ¾ C. mozzarella cheese, cut into small dice
- 1 tsp. oregano leaves, fresh or dried salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
Preheat oven to 475° F. at least 20 minutes before baking. Strain tomatoes through the medium holes of a food mill placed over a bowl, scraping in all the pulp. Spread the puréed tomatoes on the pizza dough, leaving the rim uncovered. Dot with the anchovy pieces and the mozzarella. Sprinkle with oregano, salt and pepper, and olive oil. Immediately place the pizza in the oven. Bake for 15 to 20 minutes, or until the crust is golden brown and the cheese is bubbling. Serves 4.