Plentiful Potato Soup
- 4 lg. Idaho potatoes, skinned and cubed
- 2 Tbs. butter or margarine
- 1 sm. shallot, diced
- 2 Tbs. flour
- 1/4 C. fat-free evaporated milk
- 2 cans chicken or vegetable broth
- 4 grinds black pepper
- 4 oz. shredded cheddar (or any cheese you prefer)
- 1 lg. carrot, shredded
- 2 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 leftover French bread, cut into large cubes
- Olive Oil
- 2 tsp. dried parsley
- 2 Tbs. onion and/or garlic powder
- 3 grinds black pepper
Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Add cubed bread to a large bowl, drizzle with oil (do not soak bread), black pepper, parsley and onion powder. Place in single layer on parchment-lined cookie sheet and bake until golden. Remove from oven and set aside.
Meanwhile, in deep pot, sauté shallot in butter until translucent. Add flour and cook about 5 minutes to get rid of flour taste. Add milk and combine. Add potatoes, carrot, broth and black pepper. Bring to boil and then lower to simmer. Cook for 15-20 minutes or until potatoes are tender to mash. Remove ladle full of potatoes and set aside. Mash potatoes in pot to desired consistency and then return un-mashed potatoes to pot. Add cheese and mix well. Test for salt and pepper.
To serve, ladle soup into bowl or crock, sprinkle with parsley and top with croutons.