Popeye's Copycat Cajun Fish
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 pounds boneless skinless catfish fillets
- 1 cup, or more as needed, buttermilk
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup corn muffin mix (such as Jiffy)
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 1/2 teaspoons paprika
- 2 teaspoons ground mustard
- 2 teaspoons black pepper
- 2 teaspoons sea salt
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- 1 teaspoon thyme
- 1 dash of Louisiana hot sauce
- Vegetable oil, for frying
First, slice your fillets into 2 inch strips (think chicken tender-sized). In a large bowl, cover the fillets in buttermilk for 30-45 minutes.
In a separate bowl, whisk together the egg, flour, and corn mix. As soon as the batter has a smooth consistency, stir in all the spices. Chill the batter for 10-15 minutes.
In a large skillet, heat one inch of oil over medium-high heat. Dip each piece of fish in the batter and then fry each side for 3-4 minutes.
Remove the cooked fish from the hot pan and drain on paper towels. Serve with your favorite sauces and our Popeyes Copycat Cajun Fries.