Pork Green Chili
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 30-oz. bags Select Brand Mild Frozen Chopped Green Chilies (or equivalent)
- 1 30-oz. bag Select Brand Hot Frozen Chopped Green Chilies
- 3 14.5-oz. cans canned diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 1 lg. onion, coarsely chopped
- 4-5 country style pork ribs, deboned, fat removed and chopped into small pieces
- 3 C. water
- 3/4 stick butter
- 1 C. or more cornstarch
- olive oil for browning onion and pork
- 2-3 Tbs. chopped or minced garlic
- spices: kosher salt, ground pepper, dried garlic seasoning with herbs
In an 8-qt. or larger soup pot, pour green chilies, tomatoes, water, minced garlic and pepper and salt to taste. Heat slowly over medium-low heat. Cook onions in olive oil over medium heat, and season with pepper, salt, and dried garlic seasoning with herbs. Cook until clear. Add to green chili mixture.
Lightly brown pork in olive oil and season with pepper, salt, and dried garlic seasoning with herbs. Add to green chili mixture. Leave pork residue in fry pan. Add butter and melt until bubbly. Slowly add cornstarch, whisking until smooth. Texture should be soft, smooth, paste forming a roux. Cook until light tan. Add to green chili mixture. Bring to a light rolling boil to activate cornstarch thickener, stirring frequently to keep from sticking on the bottom. Reduce heat to medium-low and cool slowly, stirring occasionally for 1 hour.
Serve over burritos or as a soup, with shredded cheddar cheese and sour cream.
For more delicious Mexican recipes, visit http://mexicanrecipe4living.com!