Pork Souvlaki With Tzatziki Sauce
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 1/4 lbs. trimmed pork shoulder, cut into strips
- 1 large onion, cut into 1/2-inch wedges
- 1 red bell pepper, cut into strips
- 1/4 C. plus 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 3 T. fresh lemon juice
- 2 T. chopped fresh oregano
- 2 garlic cloves, mashed to a paste
- Kosher salt
- freshly ground pepper
- 1 C. Greek-style whole-milk yogurt
- 1/2 cucumber, seeded and finely diced
- 2 T. chopped fresh mint
- 2 T. green onion, sliced
- ¼ C. radishes, sliced
- warm pita for serving
- lemon wedges for serving
In a medium bowl, toss pork strips, onion wedges, and red pepper with olive oil, lemon juice, chopped oregano, and half of the garlic paste.
Season with salt and pepper. Let stand for 20 minutes.
Meanwhile, in another bowl, mix the yogurt, cucumber, mint, and remaining garlic paste. Season the tzatziki sauce with salt and pepper.
Heat a large griddle or grill pan until very hot.
Add the pork and vegetables along with any remaining marinade and cook over high heat, turning once or twice.
Cook for about 10 minutes or until the pork and vegetables are tender.
Fill the warmed pita with the souvlaki. Top with green onions and radishes.
Serve with the tzatziki sauce and lemon wedges.