- 1 to 2 tsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic, peeled, minced
- 6 oz. portabella mushroom caps (about 4), cleaned, stems removed
- Pinch of salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 12 oz. shredded or sliced mozzarella cheese 10 fresh basil leaves
- 2 fresh tomatoes, sliced, roasted, grilled or broiled Oregano leaves, optional
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees. In a small bowl, combine the oil and garlic. Rub the mushroom caps on all sides with the oil mixture. Place the caps, top side down, in a circle on an oiled baking sheet. Season with salt and pepper. Arrange the cheese, basil and tomato slices alternately in a circle on top of the mushrooms. Sprinkle with oregano, if you like. Bake until the cheese melts, about 3 to 5 minutes. Remove from the oven and serve.