Pumpernickel Bread with Walnuts
Serving Size / Yield
- A packet of dry yeast
- 3/4 c of raisins
- 1 egg white
- 3 tbsp of water
- 1 tbsp of instant coffee
- 1/4 c of molasses
- 1 3/4 c of warm water
- 2 tbsp of granulated sugar
- 4 1/2 c of bread flour
- 1 c of dark rye four
1. First, preheat your oven to 200 degrees Fahrenheit.
2. Then, take a bowl and combine your sugar, yeast and water.
3. Stir this together until the yeast dissolves.
4. Let this sit for roughly 7 minutes for the texture to become foamy.
5. Now take your instant coffee, bread flour, rye flour, salt, walnuts, molasses and raisins and put this into a bowl. On a low speed, mix this together thoroughly.
6. Flour a surface and take your dough onto this surface.
7. For another 12 minutes, continuously knead the dough and add more flour for elasticity.
8. Make this into a large oval, roughly 10 by 6 inches and put this on parchment paper on a sheet. Put a tea towel over this and place into the center of the oven.
9. For 30 minutes, let this sit in the preheated oven.
10. After the half hour is up, take this from the oven and turn up to 375 degrees. In another bowl, take your egg white and water to brush this onto the warm bread. Cut three slits into the top.
11. Bake this four 35 minutes and let cool.