Quinoa and Black Bean Casserole
Serving Size / Yield
- 3 lg. cloves garlic, minced
- 1 onion, minced
- 2 jalapenos, seeds and ribs removed, minced
- 1 Tbs. olive oil
- 4 1/2 C. black beans, rinsed
- 1 1/4 C. vegetable broth
- 2 C. quinoa, cooked
- 1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. chili powder
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 4 bell peppers, diced
- 1 1/4 C. shredded Mexican cheese
- 1/2 C. green onions, diced
1. Preheat the oven to 375 F.
2. In a large skillet heat oil over medium-high heat. Add garlic, onion and jalapenos. Sautee for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Stir in broth and black beans. Bring mixture to a boil and cook 5 minutes.
4. Mash beans, leaving some still intact. The mixture should be thick; keep cooking if it is still watery.
5. Salt to taste; set aside.
6. In a dry, nonstick skillet add the quinoa and toast over medium-high heat. Season with cayenne, chili powder, cumin and salt. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Set aside.
7. In the same dry, nonstick skillet place diced peppers over medium-high heat. Blister the peppers and do not stir for 2-3 minutes. Stir after and cook another 2 minutes. Remove from heat, set aside.
8. Coat a 9×13-inch glass baking dish with cooking spray.
9. Spoon black beans into dish. Top with quinoa, peppers and cheese.
10. Cover and bake for 20 minutes.
11. Remove foil and bake another 10 minutes, or until cheese is bubbly. Let cool and sprinkle with green onions.