Raspberry and Lemon Muffins
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 lg. lemon
- 1/2 C. sugar
- 1 C. nonfat buttermilk
- 1/3 C. canola oil
- 1 lg. egg
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1 C. white whole-wheat flour
- 1 C. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- 1/4 tsp. salt
- 1 1/2 C. fresh or frozen (not thawed) raspberries
1. Preheat oven to 400°F. Line 12 lg. ½ C. muffin cups with paper liners, or coat with cooking spray.
2. Using a vegetable peeler remove zest from lemon in long strips.
3. Combine zest and sugar in a food processor; pulse. Process until the zest is very finely blended into the sugar. Add in buttermilk, oil, egg and vanilla; pulse until blended.
4. In a large bowl combine whole-wheat flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add in the buttermilk mixture and fold until almost blended. Gently fold in raspberries.
5. Divide the batter evenly among the muffin cups.
6. Place in the oven and bake until 20 to 25 minutes or until the edges and tops are golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
7. Let cool in the pan for 5 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack. Serve.