- 2 C. cooked and cooled white rice
- 2 eggs, beaten (or imitation eggs)
- 4 egg whites, beaten (or imitation eggs)
- 1 sm. container ricotta cheese
- 1/4 - 1/2 C. parmesan cheese
- 8 oz. mozzarella, cubed
- 2 C. flavored breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbs. parsley, dried
- 2 Tbs. onion powder
- Garnish: 2 Tbs. Parmesan cheese
- 1 Tbs. parsley
- 1/2 lb. cooked and drained ground meat (beef, chicken, turkey or any combination)
- 1 C. prepared tomato sauce
- 1/2 sm. can tender peas, drained
Combine all ingredients except for breadcrumbs, mozzarella and egg whites and any optional items.
Make balls a little larger than a golf ball, inserting a cube of cheese. Roll in egg whites and then in breadcrumbs. Place on plate. If using meat combination, make balls bigger. Place rice mixture in palm of your hand to create half of a ball, add cubed cheese and/or whatever center you prefer. Add more rice to create complete ball. Place in fridge for about 15 minutes or up to 2 hours lightly covered with foil.
Add oil to deep skillet or fryer and heat to 350 degrees (you want enough oil to at least come up half way on the rice balls). Do not crowd pan or fryer. Let oil come back up to temperature after you remove your cooked rice balls before putting in the next group.
Fry until golden, turning frequently. Lay out on brown paper bags to absorb oil. Sprinkle with garnish and serve hot or room temperature.