Rich Butternut Squash Soup
Serving Size / Yield
- 2½ lbs. butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 sweet potato, peeled, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 med. onion, cut into 1/2-inch slices
- 3 Tbs. olive oil, divided
- ½ tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1 1-in. slice ginger, peeled and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 4 C. vegetable stock
- ½ C. coconut milk
- ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tsp. pepper
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Place squash, sweet potato and onion in a large mixing bowl. Drizzle with 3 tablespoons olive oil and toss vegetables well. Transfer vegetables to a parchment paper lined baking sheet in a single layer. Bake 40 minutes, or until tender.
Heat 1 teaspoon oil in a large stockpot. Add red pepper flakes, ginger and garlic and stir well. Cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add vegetable stock, coconut milk, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat and cook, covered, for 10 minutes.
Place roasted vegetables and stock in a blender and blend until smooth. You may need to do this in several batches, depending on the size of your blender. Return blended soup to stockpot.