Robust Onion-Olive Tapenade
- 1/2 C. Vidalia onions, finely chopped
- 1/2 C. sweet red onions, finely chopped
- 1 3/4 C. kalamata olives, pitted and chopped
- 2 Tbs. capers, rinsed and drained
- 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 2 Tbs. extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 Tbs. fresh parsley, chopped
- 1 Tbs. fresh oregano, chopped
- 1/4 tsp. fresh lemon zest
- 1 clove garlic, crushed
- freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
- 2 Tbs. red or orange bell peppers, finely chopped
In a small bowl, mix the onions, olives, and capers. Pulse lemon juice, oil, parsley, oregano, lemon zest, and garlic in a food processor for 3 to 5 seconds, then pour over onion-olive mixture and combine with a fork. Place tapenade in a serving bowl, season with pepper to taste, top with chopped peppers, and serve. Tapenade may be used as a dip for pita, spread on bruschetta or sliced baguette, on top of a mixed greens salad, or as a topping for rice, potato, or pasta.
Yields about 2 C.