Ruth's Chris Creamed Spinach
15 min preparation + 30 min cooking
Serving Size / Yield
- 6 Tbs. butter
- 1/4 C. all-purpose flour
- 1/4 C. chopped onion
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 whole clove
- 2 C. whole milk
- 2 (10 oz.) bags ready-to-use fresh spinach
- Melt 4 tablespoons butter in heavy medium saucepan over medium heat.
- Add flour and stir until light golden, about 7 minutes.
- Stir in onion, bay leaf and clove. Gradually whisk in milk.
- Whisk until mixture boils and thickens, about 10 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer 5 minutes longer, whisking frequently (sauce will be very thick).
- Remove bay leaf and whole clove.
- Cook spinach in large pot of boiling water just until wilted and tender, about 2 minutes. Drain.
- Transfer spinach to bowl filled with ice water to cool.Drain well.
- Roll up spinach in kitchen towl and squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- Transfer spinach to processor and finely chop.
- Add spinach to warm sauce, simmer over low heat until spinach is heated through, stirring often, about 5 minutes.
- Stir in remaining 2 tablespoons of butter.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper and serve.
Around The Web