Satisfying Chicken and Vegetable Casserole
Serving Size / Yield
- 2 (3 1/2 oz.) bags boil-in-bag brown rice
- 1 Tbs. oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 8 oz. presliced button mushrooms
- 8 oz. skinless, boneless chicken thighs, cut into bite-sized pieces
- 3/4 tsp. salt, divided
- 1/4 tsp. pepper
- 1 (12 oz.) bag microwave-in-bag fresh broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 C. Milk
- 3 Tbs. Flour
- 3 oz. Cheddar cheese, shredded, optional
Heat the broiler to high and cook the rice according to package directions, then drain. In a skillet, heat the oil and swirl to coat. Add onion, mushrooms, and chicken. Season with 1/4 tsp. salt and pepper. Sauté until the chicken and onion are done, about 6 minutes.
Cook the broccoli in microwave according to package directions and open to release steam. In a bowl, whisk together milk and flour until smooth. Add the milk mixture into the chicken mixture in the skillet. Cook for 2 minutes, or until thick and bubbling. Stir frequently. Stir in the remaining salt, rice, and broccoli. Sprinkle with cheese, if using. Broil in the oven for 1 minute.