Saucy Swiss Steak
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 2 lbs. round steak or "simmering" steak
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1/4 C. thinly sliced carrots
- 1 small carrot, thinly sliced, about 1/4 C.
- 1 small stalk celery, thinly sliced, about 1/4 C.
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/4 tsp. black pepper
- 2 Tbs. all-purpose flour
- 1 can (28 oz.) plum tomatoes, drained and chopped, 1/2 C. juice reserved
- 1 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
In a skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add steak, in pieces, if necessary, and brown on both sides. Transfer to slow cooker stoneware. Reduce heat to medium-low. Add onion, carrots, celery, salt and pepper to pan. Cover and cook until vegetables are softened, about 8 minutes. Sprinkle flour over vegetables and cook for 1 minute, stirring. Add tomatoes, reserved juice and Worcestershire sauce. Bring to a boil, stirring until slightly thickened. Add bay leaf. Pour tomato mixture over steak and cook on low for 8 to 10 hours or on High for 4 to 5 hours, until meat is tender. Discard bay leaf.
Nutritional Information Per Serving (1/8 of recipe):
Calories: 196, Carbohydrate: 11 g, Fiber: 2 g, Protein: 28 g, Fat: 4 g, Sodium: 330 mg, Cholesterol: 49 mg Diabetic Exchanges: 2 Vegetable, 3-1/2 Lean Meat
Yield: 8 servings