Sausage, Rice and Craisin Stuffing
- 1 C. rice, cooked and cooled
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1/2 C. grated parmesan cheese, divided
- 3 grinds black pepper
- Large pinch parsley, fresh or dried
- 1/2 C. shredded mozzarella, divided
- 1/4-1/2 C. low fat ricotta (optional)
- 2 Tbs. butter or margarine
- 2 Tbs. grated cheese
- 2 links sausage, removed from casing
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1/2 C. Craisins (optional)
Saute sausage in 1 tsp. oil until brown; add onion and cook until translucent. Cook and drain rice. Put in a bowl and add 2 tsp. butter and mix well. Set aside to cool a bit.
Place Craisins in a bit of water (just enough to cover) and let sit about 10 minutes to rehydrate.
Combine sausage, rice and remaining ingredients except breadcrumbs, using only half the mozzarella and half the grated parmesan cheese and place in greased ovenproof baking dish.
Sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and grated cheese and then breadcrumbs. Spray with baking spray (be careful you don't get hit with flying breadcrumbs) and bake covered at 350 degrees on center rack for about 20 minutes. Remove foil and broil on low until golden and bubbly.
This recipe can be made up to one day ahead and placed in fridge. Bring to room temperature before placing in preheated oven.