Shrimp Pad Thai with Bean Sprouts
Serving Size / Yield
- 4 oz. rice stick noodles
- 1/4 C. Thai fish sauce*
- 3 Tbs. freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 Tbs. brown sugar
- 1 Tbs. vegetable oil
- 6 oz. medium shrimp, peeled & deveined
- 1 Tbs. cloves finely chopped garlic
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 1 C. bean sprouts
- 4 scallions, thinly sliced on the bias
- 1/4 C. chopped peanuts
- 1/4 C. cilantro, coarsely chopped, plus additional for garnish
- 1/4 C. Thai basil, coarsely chopped, optional
- 1/4 C. mint, coarsely chopped, optional
- 1 lime, cut into 8 wedges, optional
Place the noodles in a bowl and cover with hot tap water. Allow to soften while preparing the other ingredients. Check that they are al dente. Rice noodles will not get overly soft. Drain and reserve.
Whisk the fish sauce, lime juice and brown sugar together until the sugar dissolves. Reserve.
Heat a large heavy sauté pan over high heat and add the oil. Add shrimp and cook until pink, 30 seconds. Add the garlic and eggs stirring with a fork to scramble and slightly brown them. Add the bean sprouts, scallions, peanuts, cilantro, and basil and mint, if using. Continue to move everything in the pan until aromatic, about 30 seconds. Add the noodles and reserved sauce. Toss to coat the noodles and heat through, about 1 minute. Divide noodles between 4 bowls. Sprinkle with additional herbs. Serve with lime wedges, if using.
*This dish can easily be made gluten free by ensuring the condiments contain no gluten.
Find this recipe and more like it at pastafits.org!
Per serving: 317 calories, 11 g total fat, 2 g saturated fat, 38 g carbohydrates, 18 g protein, 3 g dietary fiber, 1,576 mg sodium.