Side Splitting Split Pea Soup
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 bag dry split peas, any color
- 1 spiral ham bone or bone pieces
- 1/4 C. fresh carrots
- 1/4 C. instant potato flakes or any other cookie potato (if potato is raw, peel and cube)
- 4 C. water
- 1 can vegetable broth
- Pinch black pepper
- 1 small can tender sweet peas with juice
- 1/4-1/2 C. cooked rice or small pasta
- Grated cheese
Rinse and soak dry peas in hot water for about 20 minutes. Look for any rocks or dirt.Combine all ingredients - except rice or pasta - in large pot. Cover and bring to a boil. If using real potato, add now, otherwise wait for the last 5 minutes. Simmer and cook for about 35-40 minutes half covered, stirring every 15 minutes. Remove bone and/or ham pieces and use blender or immersion blender to combine all ingredients. Shred ham off the bone and put back in the soup. Add cooked rice or pasta and sprinkle with grated cheese to taste.
Try this tasty pea and ham soup recipe!