Simple Homemade Cheese Danish
Serving Size / Yield
- 8 ounces cream cheese at room temperature, softened
- ½ cup confectioners' sugar
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
- 1 pinch of salt
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- ¼ teaspoon cardamom
- 2 sticks unsalted butter
- ¾ cup milk, heated to lukewarm
- 2 packs of active dry yeast
- 2 ½ cups all-purpose flour
- 1 large egg
- 2 large eggs, white and yolk separated
Heat the butter and ½ cup of milk until the butter has melted. Set aside to cool to lukewarm temperature.
Dissolve the yeast in ¼ cup of warm water. Let sit for 5 minutes then add in the yolks.
Stir in the buttered milk mixture and sift in the flour, zest, salt, cardamom, nutmeg and granulated sugar.
Mix on medium speed until the dough becomes soft and pliant.
Store the dough in the refrigerator overnight for it to rise.
After refrigeration, tear the dough in half and roll it out into a rectangular shape.
Mix softened cream cheese together with confectioners' sugar and ¼ cup of milk.
Pour this mixture down the middle of the dough, and spread.
Cut strips in the dough and braid in a criss-cross to cover the center.
Bake in a preheated oven at 350°F for 20 to 25 minutes.