Simple Spiced Tomato and Mozzarella Salad
Serving Size / Yield
- 3 Tbs. fresh lemon juice
- 1 large clove garlic, minced
- 1/8 tsp. pepper
- 1/8 tsp. red pepper flakes
- 1/2 medium red onion, diced
- 1 Tbs. currants
- salt, to taste
- 2 Tbs. fresh basil, tightly packed and torn
- 7 Tbs. toasted pine nuts
- 6 medium ripe tomatoes, sliced
- 3/4 lb. fresh mozzarella, sliced
- 3 Tbs. olive oil
In a bowl, combine the lemon juice, garlic, pepper, red pepper flakes, onion, currants, and salt to taste. Let it stand 20 to 30 minutes. Just before serving, stir in basil and pine nuts.
Alternate slices of tomato and mozzarella on a plate. Lightly season each tomato slice with salt. Sprinkle each mozzarella slice with about 1 tsp. onion mixture and 1/2 tsp. pine nuts. Sprinkle the entire dish with oil and any leftover pine nuts and onion mixture.