Slow-Cooker Spanish Chickpea Soup
Serving Size / Yield
- 1 Lb dried chickpeas
- 6 Chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 1 Piece Serrano ham or prosciutto, cubed
- 4 oz Spanish-style chorizo, sliced
- 8 Baby red potatoes, cleaned and halved
- 1 Large leek, thinly sliced
- 2 Medium carrots, cut
- 2 Stalks celery, chopped
- 3 Cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Bay leaves
- 1 Tbs oregano, chopped
- 1 Tbs paprika
- ¼ tsp powdered saffron
- 6 Cups chicken broth
- ½ Medium cabbage, cored and cut into wedges
- Pepper, for taste
- ½ Cup parsley, chopped
Place chicken and add drained the chickpeas and add along with ham (or prosciutto), chorizo, potatoes, leek, carrots, celery, garlic, bay leaves, oregano, paprika and saffron.
Bring broth to a boil in a saucepan, then pour it into the slow cooker. Cook on High for 4 hours.
Transfer the chicken to a clean cutting board. Nestle cabbage into the soup, cover and cook until it is tender.
Discard the bay leaves. Remove the chicken from the bones and stir it back into the soup; season with pepper.