Smoked Baby Back Ribs with Espresso Barbecue Sauce
Serving Size / Yield
- 6 lb. (3 racks) Baby Back Ribs
- Sea Salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 2 Tbs. olive oil
- 1 small onion, finely chopped
- 2 Tbs. minced garlic
- 2 C. chopped fresh tomatoes or 1 can (15 oz) tomatoes
- 3/4 C. molasses
- 3/4 C. honey
- 2 Tbs. course Dijon mustard
- 1/2 C. espresso
1. Season the ribs on both sides with salt and pepper and smoke for 3 hours at 225 degrees in preheated smoker using hickory chips during first 2 hours of smoking.
2. To Make Espresso BBQ Sauce, put olive oil in saucepan.
3. Saute onions until caramelized
4. Add garlic and saute for additional 2-3 minutes or until garlic just starts to turn golden.
5. Add tomatoes, molasses, honey, mustard and espresso and simmer until thickened; approximately 30 minutes.
6. Put sauce into a blender, a half of the batch at a time and blend until smooth.
7. Once the ribs have cooked the first three hours, remove them from the smoker, baste generously with the sauce, wrap in aluminum foil and return to the smoker for 1 to 1 and 1/2 hours at 160 degrees.