Snapper Stew with Potatoes and Tomatoes
Serving Size / Yield
- 4 sm. new red potatoes, halved
- 1/4 C. frozen chopped onion
- 1 Tbs. dried celery flakes
- 1 clove garlic, minced or 1/8 tsp. garlic powder
- 1 sm. fresh jalapeno chile pepper, seeded and minced
- 4 button mushrooms, sliced
- one 14 1/2-oz. can no-salt-added diced tomatoes, drained well
- 1/2 C. clam juice or low-sodium canned chicken broth
- 3 Tbs. dry white wine or 1 Tbs. lemon juice
- 1/4 tsp. ground cumin
- 8 oz. boneless red snapper fillets, cut into 1 1/2-inch cubes
- 1 Tbs. chopped fresh cilantro
Place potatoes in a covered microwave-safe bowl with 1 tablespoon of water. Cook on High for 4 minutes, stirring once. Set aside.
In a medium nonstick skillet, saute onion, celery flakes, garlic, jalapeno and mushrooms over medium-high heat for 1 minute. Add the tomatoes, clam juice, wine, cumin and cooked potatoes. Simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes, stirring once. Add the fish and continue to simmer, uncovered, until fish is opaque, about 2 to 3 minutes.
Spoon stew into 2 shallow soup bowls and sprinkle with cilantro.