Snickerdoodle Ice Cream
1 days preparation + 1 hour cooking
Serving Size / Yield
- 8 Snickerdoodle cookies broken into small pieces
- 1 1/4 C. whole milk
- pinch of salt
- 3/4 C.sugar
- 1 vanilla bean
- 2 C. heavy cream
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 C. caramel sauce
- Place milk, salt, and sugar in a medium saucepan over medium low heat.
- Cut the vanilla bean down the center lengthwise and scrape seed into the milk mixture. Bring to a simmer.
- Remove from heat and cover with lid.
- Beat egg yolks in a bowl. Pour 1/4 cup of the heated milk mixture into the yolks while whisking.
- Remove the vanilla bean.
- Pour yolk mixture back into the pan with the remaining milk and return to medium low heat.
- Stir until custard begins to simmer and reaches 175 degrees.
- In the meantime, arrange a bowl in a larger bowl filled with ice.
- Place cream in smaller bowl and place a strainer over it.
- When custard coats the whisk or back of a spoon, strain it into the cream.
- Whisk together to cool in the ice bath. Place in refrigerator to cool completely overnight.
- Stir in vanilla extract and process in ice cream machine according to directions.
- At soft serve stage, remove from machine and place 1/3 of ice cream in container.
- Layer with half of the caramel sauce and half of the cookie pieces.
- Repeat layers with the last third of ice cream.
- Place in freezer in an airtight container to harden for a few hours or overnight.
Around The Web