Souper French Onion Soup
- 2 large white onions, peeled and sliced thin and then cut the slices in half
- 2 cans broth - any combination of beef, vegetable or chicken or homemade broth
- 1/2 stick butter
- 2 Tbs. Worcestershire sauce
- 4 grinds black pepper
- 1-2 Tbs. grated cheese
- 1/4 C. shredded carrot
- 8 slices French bread, toasted until golden
- 1/2 C. mozzarella or any other meltable cheese
- 1 leftover cooked medium white potato, diced
Slice onions and sauté in pan with the butter about 10 minutes turning often (butter and oil together will not burn). Add carrots and pepper. Sauté another 5 minutes. Add broth and Worcestershire sauce. Add potato. Simmer until onions are tender (about 1 hour). Add grated cheese. Ladle warm soup in crock and place toasted Italian bread on top. Sprinkle with shredded cheese and put under broiler until golden.
Note: if using a slow cooker, add all ingredients except cheeses and toast. Cook about 4 hours on high and then continue recipe.