Southern Dirty Rice
Serving Size / Yield
- 1½ cup Wehani or Long-grain Brown Rice
- 3 cup Chicken Broth
- 1 tsp Peanut Oil or Canola Oil
- 10 oz Cooked Chicken Andouille or Spicy Sausage
- 1½ cup, Yellow Onion,chopped
- 1¼ cup Chopped Celery
- 1 cup Chopped Green Bell Pepper
- 1 cup Chopped Red Bell Pepper
- 2 cloves Garlic,minced
- 2 Tsp. Chopped Fresh Thyme Leaves
- ¼-½ Tsp Cayenne Pepper
- ¼ Tsp Salt
Start by bringing rice and broth to a boil in a large saucepan.
Reduce heat to low,cover and simmer until the liquid is absorbed and the rice is tender
This will take about an hour.
Remove from heat and let stand, while covered, for 10 minutes.
Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium heat.
Add sausage and cook for about 5 minutes.
Next add onion,celery, green and red bell pepper and garlic to the pan.
Cook until the onion is soft for about 5 minutes.
Stir in thyme,cayenne to taste and salt.
Stir the mixture into the rice and serve.